Patients require immediate evaluation when presenting to the Emergency Department (ED) with a suspected stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA). It is impossible to reliably differentiate infarct from hemorrhage by clinical examination alone. Brain imaging is required to guide management, including the selection of time-sensitive acute stroke treatments.
In 2016, the Heart and Stroke Foundation released the Key Quality Indicators for Stroke Care. National benchmarks for ED assessment and triage include:
- Door to CT/CTA: ≤ 15 minutes
- Stroke onset to tPA administration: ≤ 4.5 hours
- Door to Needle/tPA: ≤ 30 minutes
- Door to Groin Puncture: ≤ 60 minutes
- Door to Revascularization: ≤ 90 minutes
Referring Centre Door In to Referring Centre ED Out: ≤ 45 minutes