A repository of educational resources to enhance learning for clinicians on the stroke rehabilitation best practices.
All Stroke/TIA Patients Requiring Inpatient Care are Admitted to an Acute Stroke Unit:
Southwestern Ontario Acute Care Videos
RNAO Nursing Best Practice Guideline
Canadian Neurological Scale (CNS) Teaching Package
The Canadian Neurological Scale is a validated and recommended tool for assessing and monitoring the neurological status of stroke clients. The tools can help you offer a half day CNS workshop in your organization.
National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS)
A three-hour workshop developed to train front line staff to perform the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale, to provide practice with simulated patients, and to use simulations on the training DVD to assess interrater reliability.
Interprofessional Team Care on Acute Stroke Unit:
Interprofessional Learning Objectives for Stroke Care are learning objectives related to stroke across 16 key learning areas and relevant to eight regulated health disciplines:
- Interprofessional Learning Objectives for Stroke Carehttp://www.heartandstroke.on.ca/site/c.pvI3IeNWJwE/b.5346921/k.349/HCP__Stroke_Interprofessional_Resource.htm
Other Interprofessional Resources or Links
- A National Interprofessional competency Framework (Canadian Interprofessional Health collaboration, 2010)http://www.cihc.ca/files/CIHC_IPCompetencies_Feb1210.pdf
- Interprofessional care: A Blueprint for Action in Ontario (HealthForce Ontario, 2007)http://www.healthforceontario.ca/UserFiles/file/PolicymakersResearchers/ipc-blueprint-july-2007-en.pdf
- HealthForce Ontario Interprofessional Carehttp://www.healthforceontario.ca/WhatIsHFO/AboutInterprofessionalCare.aspx
- Office of Interprofessional Education and Practice, Queen’s University, Kingston Ontariohttp://meds.queensu.ca/oipep/search
- Centre for Interprofessional Education, University of Torontohttp://www.ipe.utoronto.ca/
- Office of Interprofessional Health Education and research, University of Western Ontariohttp://www.ipe.uwo.ca/
Southwest Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) Self Management Toolkit
Interprofessional Learning Objectives for Stroke Care
Learning objectives related to stroke across 16 key learning areas and relevant to eight regulated health disciplines (found in the Useful Links section).
Dysphagia Management Resources
A collection of resources related to best practices, screening, management addressing both research and education.
Stroke Survivor Series Southeastern Ontario
Early Mobilization within 24 hours of Admission:
Early Mobilization Presentation
Alpha FIM Completed on Day 3:
Self-Study Training Package
This document is intended for clinicians who are planning to become credentialed AlphaFIM®assessors. It is password protected for copyright reasons,your Regional Stroke Rehabilitation Coordinator will provide thepassword to clinicians prior to credentialing.The document contains information on UDSMR training resources, the website portal for AlphaFIM®calculations, as well as options for documentation.Please contact your Regional Stroke Rehabilitation Coordinator for more information.
West GTA AlphaFIM® Case Study Examples (password protected)